Just a couple of days after Michael’s last hospital appointment two weeks ago he got a phone call giving him a date for the CT scan on his ankle – the 22nd of this month. He went back to Ireland that evening while I kept an eye on the post for him and over the next few days he got three letters – for a physio appointment yesterday, an MRI scan on the 17th, and a confirmation of the CT scan on the 22nd. So it seems that things are finally moving along and he arrived back from Ireland on Monday, however the physio appointment yesterday turned out to be a bit confusing.
The physiotherapist that Michael saw (a different one to last time) seemed to be quite puzzled as to why he was there and asked who had sent him. Michael showed him all three letters and the guy said that really there was no need for him to be there as the physio would only start once he’d had the CT scan and a decision had been made about an operation. However he did examine the ankle and had Michael doing various contortions with it, then made him another appointment for the 20th of this month – which totally contradicts what he’d said only a few minutes before. So Michael is effectively ‘grounded’ now until he’s had the CT scan, however once that’s out of the way and he knows whether or not he’ll need an operation he’ll be going back to Ireland – and I’ll be following him at the end of this month.
When he arrived home on Monday evening it was with the news that on December 2nd there will be a special evening mass in remembrance of his dad and uncle Jimmy as it will be twelve months since they both passed away. Of course I would like to be there so on Tuesday I looked online for flights and got some really good prices, which I didn’t expect, so once I’d arranged a few days off work and asked my friend Lin if she will look after the pets for me I made the booking. I’ll be flying over at noon on Thursday the 30th of this month and coming back in the evening of the following Monday – I don’t normally take time off work during the winter months as I’d rather save the days for better weather, but this is rather a special occasion, and to be honest I’m really looking forward to going back home to Roscrea even if it is only for a few days.
Exactly four months after breaking his ankle Michael is still no nearer to getting it sorted out properly and he’s understandably getting really cheesed off with the whole situation. Back on September 1st he had an x-ray and got an appointment to see a specialist, Mr W, two weeks later ; he made another trip back to Ireland on the 6th, then while I was away camping in Norfolk he came back home on the 14th for his appointment the following day but that proved to be a total waste of time. He was kept waiting for forty minutes after his actual appointment time then when he finally did see someone it was the collar bone and shoulder specialist!
This guy prodded, poked and manipulated Michael’s ankle and asked if it hurt, to which he replied “Yes, it ****does!!” then he was told he would get a letter in two to three weeks time to see Mr W – which is what that day’s appointment was supposed to be for! Needless to say, he wasn’t very happy as there had been no real point in coming back from Ireland just to be told that, so on his way back from hospital he called at the bus station ticket office and booked himself on the ferry that same night – he rang me and said he’d got an open ticket so once he got a letter from the hospital he could come home in time for whenever the next appointment would be.
Unfortunately, even after four weeks there was still no letter for him from the hospital so rather than ring he decided to come back home and actually go there to find out what was going on. He arrived back here at 6.30am on the 13th of this month then after a couple of hours sleep he went up to the hospital, only to be told that they had no record of a further appointment for him! At this stage he (sort of quietly) hit the roof and was finally able to speak to Mr W’s secretary who immediately gave him the earliest appointment available which was for today.
That appointment was for 10am but it was 11.30 before he was seen and he was in for quite a while, during which his ankle was prodded and poked yet again but without the specialist coming to a firm conclusion. From there he had to go to physio where the guy there just gave him a few exercises to do at home to strengthen the new bone growth, and he now has to wait for yet another appointment to have a scan this time, when (hopefully) it will be decided whether or not he needs an operation. Needless to say he’s really fed up with the whole ongoing situation now and really needs a final decision to be made one way or the other as he wants to get back to work – his ankle is still very sore but even though he can now walk about without the boot the nature of his job means that he isn’t even allowed in the bakery so as much as he wants to go back to work he can’t.
However, he is going back to Ireland on Friday night, with an open ticket so he can come home whenever he needs to, and I’ll be keeping an eye on the post for him, though he said he’s only going to leave it for a week before he rings the hospital, and he’ll keep ringing them until he gets that next appointment date. I really hope something gets sorted out for him soon as I’m just as fed up with the situation as he is – and though it’s nice to have him at home when he is here I do miss my presents of free bread and teacakes!