A couple of days ago I finally got round to doing something about my Easter camping weekend and after much thought and weighing up various pros and cons I decided to go back to the quiet little site in North Wales where I spent last Easter and August bank holidays. A quick phone call to the lovely couple who own the site and I was booked in on pitch no.8, the same one as last year, from Good Friday until the following Tuesday. My pitch won’t be available until 1pm but I don’t mind that too much as I can spend some time in Llangollen en route.
Plans for the weekend – subject to changes and weather permitting – include driving up Horseshoe Pass, visiting a country house, a castle and a huge car boot sale, and a walk along the canal, and maybe if the sky is clear enough I’ll let the dogs pull me up the steep hill above Llangollen to Castell Dinas Bran. The MOT is due on the van at the end of this month but I don’t forsee any major problems with that, so once I’ve got the all-important certificate in my sticky little paw I’ll be packing in the camping gear. By the time Easter comes round it’ll be seven months since I camped in Norfolk last September but it seems like forever so I’m really looking forward to this – and keeping my fingers crossed that the weather gods will give me lots of blue sky and sunshine for the whole weekend!
And end up messing up several others.
Last night I noticed that my post about Bolton Abbey, which I’d only written that morning, had one glaring fault – the caption under one of the photos had somehow come out in a different font to all the others. Now it may very well not have been noticeable to anyone else, and if it was maybe no-one would have cared anyway, but it was noticeable to me and it was bugging me. It just looked so completely wrong that I had to do something about it, so I set about amending the post – except things weren’t quite as easy as they should have been.
In theory it should only have been a matter of deleting the wrong caption under the photo, selecting the correct font and retyping the wording, but every time I tried it either reverted back to the wrong font or separated the caption box from the photo it belonged to, and trying to join the caption box back to the photo resulted in the photo being deleted completely. After several attempts to get things right I ended up with more things wrong – the wrong font underneath two more photos, blank caption boxes all over the place and some photos deleted – and after persevering for two hours I was ready for throwing the pc through the nearest window.
Now I must admit that when I started this blog last October I didn’t particularly like the WordPress system, and I still don’t. It’s so much different to Blogger which I use for my camping blog, and I’ve found that in comparison some of the features aren’t as easy to use – and it also seems that certain errors aren’t all that easy to rectify.
So this morning I made another attempt at amending the Bolton Abbey post and yet again WordPress wasn’t playing ball so there was only one thing I could do before I lost my sanity – delete the whole post and start again from scratch. Needless to say I scrutinised everything carefully as I went along and checked it all three times before I hit ‘publish’ and this time everything is as it should be. Unfortunately though, deleting the original post has also deleted any comments that were made on it – so if you’ve read the new post and had that feeling of deja vu, or you’re wondering where your comment went, then I can only apologise for any confusion. Hopefully it won’t happen again – and if it does, don’t blame me, blame WordPress!